- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
SDA Sensors and Electronics Engineer
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom and interested in the opportunity to work on some of the UK's leading defence technical projects and programmes supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for a motivated engineer to join our in-service submarines team! As part of the electrical design authority and nuclear technical authority, you will provide technical assurance that the electrical equipment used by the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Plant achieves its required performance and is safe for use through life.
You'll broaden your career within a diverse, exciting and fast-paced delivery team, comprised of engineers spanning all disciplines. With the in-service submarines design authority being one of the only areas of the SDA where the design intent is owned and managed by the MOD, this an ideal opportunity for 'hands on' engineering.
Due to security, this post is open to sole UK nationals only.
Using your expertise, you'll contribute to maintaining safe systems across all in-service platforms, playing a fundamental role in engineering and safety decision making. Your focus will be to maintain operation of in-service submarines as a subject matter expert overseeing Centralised Control and Surveillance (CC&S) for our pan-class of submarines.
Responsibilities of these roles may include, but not be limited to the following:
* Developing and providing subject matter expert advice
* Reviewing and proposing equipment design change
* Ensuring that there is a robust upgrade plan that stakeholders can contribute to, in order to ensure that security and safety is maintained and legislation is implemented
* Working with the logistics function and industry to identify spare units or workarounds, depending on operational priority and safety assessment
* Supporting the technical acquisition process, by reviewing industry submissions and supporting production of technical contractual documentation
* Liaising with key stakeholders including BAE Systems and Rolls Royce
The successful applicant will be required to travel to other sites across the UK occasionally.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a HNC in an Electrical/Electronic Systems Engineering (or similar) discipline, or will demonstrate equivalent relevant experience
* You will have the ability to bring complex systems together into an integrated platform, with a knowledge of interfaces
* You will demonstrate an understanding of technical risk analysis and risk based decision making, and the principals of engineering management
* You will have experience working with suppliers, contractors, subject matter experts and/or stakeholders
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience in design, integration, and/or testing of sensors and sensor systems
* As safety is key to defence, experience from within a heavily regulated engineering environment, such as Air, Automotive, Rail, Nuclear, Maritime (Commercial or Military) or Weapons, would be of particular interest
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Risk Management
* Technical Decision Making
* Communicating and influencing
* Seeing the big picture