- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
We are actively seeking Engineers to join the Air Engineering Function for initial deployment within our A400M and Voyager platform teams: Note: deployment to other platforms is also possible for successful candidates.
We are looking for people with experience in mechanical systems, structures, propulsion, electronics, avionics, systems, certification or release to service in an Air Environment. As a Professional Engineer, you will be responsible for the delivery of activity against Engineering Management Plans, including engagement with various stakeholders, such as the Aviation Duty Holder, the air regulatory authorities and our industry partners to ensure systems and equipment are safe by design and remain safe to operate.
In this role you will be an integral part of the expanding engineering delivery team, supporting our world class heavy lift and refuelling fleet in their delivery of urgent and critical operational output. In return, a career within the Air Engineering Function offers stability, a pathway for personal and professional development, the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits commensurate with being a member of the Civil Service.
These posts will allow you to base yourself out of either MOD Abbey Wood Bristol or RAF Brize Norton.
As an Air Engineer within DE&S, you will establish effective relationships with stakeholders, helping to ensure minimal operation impacts to front-line operations. Depending on your background and experience responsibilities could include:
* Contributing to and delivering elements of the Engineering Management Plan.
* Ensuring technical risks are understood and managed
* Development and maintenance of system requirements including in-service support.
* Managing engineering technical requirements (definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment and change management.
* Participating in design reviews, safety management and safety case activities.
* Ensuring compliance with regulatory policies and engineering procedures
* Interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks.
Supporting the development of requirements related to own area of specialism including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering/Science discipline or will demonstrate an equivalent level of experience within the aerospace industry.
* You will have experience of providing technical advice in the delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
* You will have demonstrable experience of working with a variety of stakeholders and the ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of applying air regulations (in a civil or military aviation environment) and understanding/experience of safety engineering and risk management.
* You will hold Professionally Registered status at minimum IEng, or will demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience and be willing/able to achieve this within 6 months of appointment.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
* Technical Risk management (Supervised Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
* Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.