- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
The Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Team are looking for Engineers to join them as part of the wider Salvage and Marine Operations (SALMO) department.
Our team is the lead across the MoD for the provision of marine salvage and emergency response. Our team of specialists including Master Mariners, Marine Engineers, Naval Architects, Environmental Scientists, ROV Pilots and Divers provide a centre of expertise for subsea activities and marine operations. Our operations are varied and include: salvage assistance to damaged surface vessels, location of aircraft on the sea-bottom, survey of WWII wrecks, towage of warships and submarines, emergency response preparedness exercises and underwater engineering support to rectify defects on Navy platforms at home and overseas.
We will provide you with the necessary training and help you on your journey to becoming an experienced technician and operator.
Please be advised that this post are based at a location within 10 miles of MoD Abbey Wood and, due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only. Additionally, the successful applicant will be required to undertake Developed Vetting (DV) clearance once in the post.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
As AUV technician, you will help deliver a discrete capability within SALMO using cutting edge commercial AUV technology to provide deep water survey outputs in support of SALMO and wider MOD objectives. You will use your experience of working as part of a close-knit team to build strong relationships with your co-workers, helping to promote an encouraging and supportive environment.
Responsibilities will include:
* Deploying afloat to operate and maintain an AUV system, circa 8 -10 weeks a year
* Supporting the engineering manager in the maintenance and availability of the AUV capability both offshore and onshore
* Supporting the system mobilisation to and integration with host vessels as well as preparing, deploying and recovering the vehicle at sea
* Identification of and requirement setting for technical procurements of services
* Day to day managing of spares and inventory
* Developing systems and standard operating procedures relevant to the role
This role is subject to Retained Grade Terms and Conditions and differ from the DE&S standard Terms and Conditions. These are detailed in the SALMO Retained Grade handbook.
Due to the nature of this role, you must meet the following:
* Be fit to pass and maintain a two-yearly ENG1 seafarers medical (no geographical limitations)
* Be required to enlist as a Royal Navy Sponsored Reserve
* Be expected to work extended hours as and when required in support of operational commitments
* Be required to live within 60 minutes travelling time of the base to which you are appointed
* Have an in date current UK driving licence
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Proven technical 'hands-on' experience operating and/or, maintaining/repairing complex equipment with skills transferable to sub-sea systems.
* Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in an Engineering or similar field, or equivalent relevant experience
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience in deep water AUV or marine/offshore operations
* Knowledge and experience with either;
* IT systems, networks and data storage systems
* Hydraulic systems
* Electromagnetic Sensors
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Improve Engineering Capability
* Technical Decision Making
* Making effective decisions
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
We're exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Open to UK nationals only.