- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Air Engineering Manager
DE&S are looking for experienced Aeronautical Engineer Managers to join their team in Yeovil, with their first assignment within our Wildcat Helicopter Team.
If you are interested in becoming part of the UK Ministry of Defence Aerospace Programme, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations, we, at DE&S, have unique opportunities for you to join us within the Wildcat Delivery Team. The team is currently supporting the exceptionally capable and versatile Wildcat Helicopter for the Army and Royal Navy.
All MoD Wildcat Helicopters are now primarily in the In-Service capability management area. The Army Wildcat Mk1 performs a range of tasks on the battlefield including reconnaissance, command and control, transportation of troops and material, and the provision of force protection. The Royal Navy Wildcat Mk2 is the latest generation of multi-role helicopter specifically procured to operate from the frigates and destroyers of the Royal Navy. The Wildcat team, in conjunction with the Lightweight and Medium Attack Systems team, is also currently delivering the Future Anti-Surface Guided Weapon (FASGW) programme integrating Martlet and Sea Venom missile systems to Wildcat Mk2. You have an amazing opportunity to assist in the development of this exciting and innovative programme, enhancing the Royal Navy's Wildcat Helicopter capability for future sustainability.
You also have the chance to work across a broad spectrum of interesting and challenging engineering and environmental issues, on equipment that is the backbone of the Army and Royal Navy Helicopter Fleets.
As an Engineering Manager in DE&S, you could find yourself providing the engineering support to Front Line Maintainers, with scope to interact with Engineers across the DE&S portfolio, including MOD Abbey Wood and Yeovil. We are looking for people with experience in mechanical systems, structures, propulsion, electronics, avionics, systems, certification, release to service, weapons, software or support equipment in an air environment.
We are committed to developing our people, whilst enabling delivery within defined project boundaries, supporting a positive and proactive mind set, with a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service. Careers within the DE&S Air environment offer stability, professional development and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, where we will continue to cultivate your passion for problem solving and leading others.
Please note that, due to its secure nature, these posts require full Security Clearance (SC) and are open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only.
As our Engineering Manager, you will use your extensive technical and airworthiness experience to enable effective Equipment Support of this exceptional capability. You will be a subject matter expert for engineering issue management, providing engineering direction and guidance to ensure the Front Line Maintainers have access to support equipment and accurate technical instructions and information. You will also have engagement with various stakeholders, such as the Aviation Duty Holder, the air regulatory authorities and industry, to ensure systems and equipment are safe by design and remain safe to operate.
Your responsibilities could include, but not be limited to:
* Managing the delivery of all engineering aspects in area of responsibility, as defined in the assignment specification or objectives, including managing the acquisition safety aspects
* Providing expert advice and guidance in your own technical area to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
* Leading the development of engineering solutions to issues identified through practical application of the Air System technical documentation
* Reviewing and assessing engineering and airworthiness information from multiple sources, determining priority for application to Wildcat Platform and generating technical instructions to disseminate airworthiness information
* Reviewing and assessing the validity of the Air System Document Set, ensuring its accuracy and when required developing amendments in a timely manner
* Supporting information management of airworthiness documentation
* Interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science subject, or will demonstrate significant experience at this level of understanding
* You will hold Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer status with a recognised professional body, or be capable of attaining within 12 months of taking up the post
* You will have experience within a Military or Civilian Aviation environment
* You will demonstrate a depth and breadth of technical experience within an Aviation In-Service Support environment and with experience of working across a wide stakeholder community
* You will have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion.