- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Sensors and Electronics Engineer
A new and exciting opportunity has arisen for a Sensors and Electronics Engineering Leader to join Defence Equipment & Support.
The successful candidate will lead the operational direction and delivery of the engineering aspects of a major project, major service, portfolio, or platform, across one the following teams:
* Joint Electronic Sensors
* Space Team
* Force Protection Electronic Counter Measures
* Marshall Team
The Sensors and Electronics Engineering Leader will bring together their technical problem-solving and management abilities to oversee multi-organisational and multi-disciplinary projects. They will provide authoritative technical advice to senior staff and shape technical policy.
If you are seeking a challenging role, that offers great development opportunities, and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, apply today!
As a Sensors and Electronics Engineering Leader, your responsibilities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Development, maintenance, and delivery of the Engineering Management Plan interacting with other functions to ensure coherent planning.
* delivery of engineering products / services as set out in the Engineering Management Plan (EMP), including managing the acquisition safety aspects.
* operational direction and delivery of engineering activity in area of responsibility as defined in the assignment specification or objectives.
* working within the Guidance to Engineering Activity and Review (GEAR) that is core to MOD Systems Engineering process across DE&S procurement and acceptance.
* provide technical leadership related to own specialist area to solve complex problems with innovative solutions to support improved performance and enhance capability.
* interface with industry as the intelligent customer on projects and help DE&S and industry understand technical risks.
* provide governance, assurance and advice on complex projects and portfolios in own area of expertise to guide and influence senior leaders, scientists, and decision makers.
* likely to hold Safety Responsibilities (SSR or SR).
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Member of a relevant Professional Engineering/Science Institute or equivalent body.
* Relevant Level 6 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience.
* Experience of providing technical advice at a senior level and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes in multidisciplinary projects.
* Wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in own specialism with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering approaches.
* Experience working in a highly regulated environment.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Chartered or Incorporated Engineer
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making - Expert
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance - Expert
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals