- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) has a unique and vital requirement for two experienced Engineers with deep submarine knowledge to join their In-Service Submarine (ISM) Delivery Team, playing essential roles in the delivery of Design Authority.
1. Assistant Project Chief Engineer (APCE)
2. Engineering System Owner - Submarine Systems (ESO-SubSys)
For both roles, you will work closely with both the ISM Project Chief Engineer and Deputy Project Chief Engineer to lead a team of multi-disciplinary engineers, delivering critical engineering control activities and providing subject matter expert (SME) input into a number of high priority engineering projects. You will maintain and improve key engineering management processes; determining maintenance requirements, design modifications and providing system safety assurance, holding internal and external stakeholders to account and ensuring the integrity of the submarine design management arrangements. These exciting opportunities will allow you to challenge how we maintain submarines by working to maximise the availability of submarines for the customer.
Examples of the systems, depending on the role, include in-water engineering, maintenance optimisation and the submarine system/equipment improvement programme, mechanical systems (outside of secondary propulsion).
These roles will support and enable the safe, available and capable provision of in-service submarines, paramount to the integrity of the UK's existing, and future, defence capability. The roles are essential in delivering the following in-service submarine key objectives: the delivery of continuous at sea deterrence and provision of submarines at very high readiness.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Depending on the role, the core responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Managing design intent for the systems within your area of responsibility, including specification of maintenance requirements
* Leading the development design changes and provide SME input to key engineering projects
* Providing professional engineering advice to Project Chief Engineer and Navy Command for submarine systems in support of operations
* Overseeing the team responsible for all engineering control policy and processes and driving through improvements to key engineering processes and activities
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* You will hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (or equivalent) status, or be capable of achieving this within 12 months of appointment
* You will be qualified to a minimum of Level 6 (e.g. BEng) in a relevant Engineering discipline, or have equivalent relevant experience
* You will be submarine SQEP (Suitably Qualified and Experienced Person) and be able to demonstrate your experience in senior technical roles within teams delivering or supporting submarines
* You will have experience of providing technical advice at a senior level and leading engineering teams in the delivery of successful outcomes
* You will have experience in technical decision making within high risk engineering environments, managing complex safety management systems and supporting arguments
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
* Technical Decision Making
* Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee's ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S & SDA - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our Engineers are exemplars both within DE&S & SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.