- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Air Platform Safety Manager
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people?
Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) are actively recruiting for Safety Engineers who are really looking to make a difference as intelligent decision makers, integral to supporting our Armed Forces.
The Air teams, within the Engineering area of DE&S, are looking for safety professionals with drive, resilience and ambition. You will work to provide safety support to teams throughout the equipment and platform acquisition lifecycle, which may span requirement setting in the concept phase and design, through to in-service support of our current platforms and their eventual disposal.
These roles are challenging and present great development opportunity, due to the diversity of complex projects. Safety is central to our culture and, as a Safety Manager, you will be a key influencer for the Chief Engineer, Delivery Team Leader, OC Director and Air Systems Duty Holders.
Responsibilities of the Air Platform Safety Manager
As an Air Platform Safety Engineer, within DE&S, you will work to establish, implement and maintain appropriate safety systems through the application of DE&S policy. Your responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to, the following:
* Developing, managing and maintaining an effective safety management system, ensuring compliance with Military Aviation Authority regulation and DE&S policy, and following recognised best practice
* Reviewing safety artefacts from the platform Design Organisation and DE&S commodity delivery teams, and making safety recommendations to the Type Airworthiness Authority, to support release to service recommendations
* Managing the safety interface with the platform Design Organisation to ensure that the safety requirements detailed in the statement of requirement for the in-service support contract are delivered to an appropriate standard to support the Type Airworthiness Safety Assessment
* Maintaining the Type Airworthiness Safety Assessments and managing safety governance processes and meetings (e.g. Air Equipment safety reviews and the Project Safety & Environmental Panel)
* Leading safety activity associated with capability projects being integrated onto the platform
* Leading the Safety Engineering team; building and maintaining good working relationships with safety stakeholders, platform operators and our industry partners
* Providing safety subject matter expert advice in key internal safety and environmental meetings, e.g. Integrity Working Groups, Local Technical Committee, Configuration Control Board, Hazard Working Group, and Hazard Review Meeting
* Overseeing, directing and reviewing the activities of an Independent Safety Auditor or provide tasking to, and liaise with, the Independent Technical Evaluator
* Leading UK safety discussions with partner nations
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will have experience as a leader in an engineering safety or environmental role within the aviation sector
* You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant engineering or science discipline, or demonstrate extensive equivalent working experience
* You will hold minimum of Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status, or demonstrate the ability to achieve this within 12 months of starting the post
* You will have experience facilitating hazard assessments
It would benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Demonstration of meeting System Safety Competences (SYSSAF) 1 to 5
* Use of safety/environmental tools (e.g. eCassandra or Adelard Air Systems Safety Case Environment tool)
* Completion of System Safety training at Practitioner level
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Compliance with Policy (Practitioner)
* Complies with System Safety requirements (Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee's ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the Armed Forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.