Top tips when completing job application forms
As part of your application to a job some companies will ask you to fill out an application form. This may be requested as an alternative to your CV or as a supporting document. Hiring companies will use application forms to compare applicants on a like-for-like basis.
Top tips for a winning application
Before you start:
- Check the deadline date and make sure you set aside enough time to complete the form
- If it’s a hand written application, check if they have specified a particular pen colour or format like block capitals.
- Read the advert or job specification carefully
Completing the form:
- If it’s an online application, write a draft answer in Word (or equivalent) first
- Stay within the word limit (if specified)
- Always give an answer - don’t assume an employer will have your CV
- Give clear, relevant examples
- Be honest in your answers
Before you submit:
- Review your contact details
- Check spelling and grammar
- If it’s an online application, make sure you’ve used a clear font and that the formatting is correct. If it’s a hand written application, make sure your writing is legible.
- Ask someone else to read your answers
- Save, scan or print a copy of your application so you have it for future reference (it may be useful to take to an interview)
- Ensure you are submitting it or sending it to the specified person
If you’d like any help with an application for a job advertised on our website, please call us on 01489 898989.
For more career advice and useful resources click here.
Ready to look for jobs? Browse jobs