Skip to main content
work permits and visas

Work permits and Visas

Working in the UK will change for European Union citizens from 1 January 2021 once freedom of movement with the EU has ended following Brexit.   From 1 January 2021, the same arrangements for working in the UK will apply to EU and non-EU citizens (although Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now). 

EU citizens living in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you’re an EU, EEA* or Swiss citizen living in the UK before 31 December 2020, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.  Further details on the EU Settlement Scheme, including how to apply, is available on the website here:

Non-UK nationals arriving in the UK after 31 December 2020

Non-UK nationals who arrive after 31 December 2020 will need to apply for a visa to work in the UK.  There are a number of visa options available depending on your personal circumstances (which are detailed on the website here:  For many of our candidates, the Skilled Worker visa may be the most appropriate visa.

Skilled Worker visa

A Skilled Worker visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved employer.  The visa can last up to 5 years before you need to extend it, but you’ll need to apply to extend or update your visa when it expires or if you change jobs or employer.  After 5 years, you may be able to apply to settlement permanently in the UK.  Further guidance on the Skilled Worker visa is available here:

To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

  • Work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
  • Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations (see:
  • Be paid a minimum salary - how much depends on the type of work you do

You must have a confirmed job offer before you apply for your visa, and you must be able to speak, read, write and understand English. You’ll usually need to prove your knowledge of English when you apply.

You must have a job offer from an approved UK employer before you apply for a Skilled Worker visa. Approved employers are also known as sponsors, because they are sponsoring you to come to or stay in the UK.

As an employment business, we are not permitted to sponsor candidates or contractors; this will be the responsibility of the end-client to whom you are providing your services, and that end-client must have a sponsor license. 

* EEA means the following countries which are members of the European Economic Area:

Austria Hungary Norway
Belgium Iceland Poland
Bulgaria The Netherlands Portugal
Cyprus Republic of Ireland Romania
Czech Republic Italy Slovakia
Denmark Latvia Slovenia
Estonia Liechtenstein Spain
Finland Lithuania Sweden
France Luxembourg Switzerland
Germany Malta Greece

Disclaimer:  Gattaca plc and its affiliates do not provide legal or immigration advice of services.  This material has been prepared for information purposes only and is not intended to provide and should not be relied upon for legal or immigration advice.  You should consult your own legal and immigration advisors to take advice on your specific circumstances.


For more advice and useful resources on starting a new job click here.

Ready to look for jobs? Browse jobs