Find your future role
Lead Software Specialists
Leonardo is a global leader in defence electronics and delivers mission critical systems for situational awareness, electronic warfare and surveillance across land, sea and air.
Key skills required for this role
Any of the following - C/C++, OOD, UML, Requirements Management, Design, Implementation, Test and Integration
You must be based in the UK and have a British Passport
The battlespace in which air forces will operate in the future continues to evolve. To counter the threats of the future, industry is creating a next generation air combat system which is agile, flexible, connected, and affordable.
That next generation is Tempest - the RAF's newest combat aircraft, coming into service from 2035 to replace the existing Eurofighter Typhoon.
Team Tempest is an industry partnership between several major UK companies. Leonardo, as a global leader in defence electronics, is a key partner, responsible for large parts of the aircraft avionics suite including sensors and non-kinetic effectors.
Based at our Edinburgh site we have many opportunities for Lead Software Engineers to join our enthusiastic and highly motivated engineering team. This is an incredible opportunity to get involved right at the start of a cutting edge product development that will secure the UK's position as a global leader in combat air for decades to come.
Benefits of working for Leonardo include...
- Flexible "custom" working, empowering you and your team to make decisions about your working pattern, giving you the time and flexibility you need to enjoy a balanced life and support your physical and mental health
- Annual leave of 25 days plus 8 floating bank holidays, and the ability to accrue additional holiday through flexible working
- An award-winning pension scheme, including an attractive employer contribution
- Employee discount schemes for you and your family, including retail, cinema, hotel bookings and vehicle benefits, and a £500 annual allowance to put towards health and wellbeing activities
- Modern facilities including coffee shops and restaurant, free car parking, and on-site Occupational Health Service to look after your physical and mental wellbeing
- Ongoing learning and development, including access to thousands of online courses free of charge via Coursera, and regular personal development assessments and goal setting
- Positive support for the Reserves, including additional time off for Reservists
What you will do
You'll be a part of a multi-disciplinary team, creating and building a complex and highly technical suite of avionics products from the ground up.
Working alongside a diverse group of engineers, from new graduates through to highly experienced lead engineers and subject matter experts, you'll create innovative embedded software solutions and develop them all the way from initial concept through to deployment into our hardware laboratories and ultimately to our end-users.
As part of self-organising agile team, you'll be empowered to shape the vision and technical solution for the product. Depending on your level of expertise, you'll mentor, coach, and teach other software engineers, and actively contribute to sharing knowledge and developing others.
Due to the nature of the work we do, remote working and working from home is generally not possible for these roles. If you've previously felt isolated by working remotely, and want to be part of a business where you can thrive in an office-based environment, working alongside some of the best engineers in our company, these are ideal roles.
We recognise that the "perfect candidate" doesn't exist, so the main requirement for the position is a strong software engineering skillset. You don't need to have experience in embedded, avionics or defence software development; we want to hear from skilled engineers and technical experts from all industries.
What we are looking for
- Delivering software as part of a team using agile techniques such as Scrum, and tooling such as Jira / Confluence
- Development and maintenance of software requirements, test specifications, and design documentation
- A solid grasp of modern C++ language usage and application of OOP techniques
- Configuration management and associated tools (Git or equivalent)
- Supporting career development of less experienced engineers, either formally as a line manager or informally via mentoring / coaching
Demonstrable experience in the following areas will help you stand out:
- Identifying, shaping, and owning innovative technical solutions and being a catalyst for their adoption
- Working with stakeholders to translate business and customer needs into a software implementation
- Development of embedded software, including RTOSs such as VxWorks or embedded Linux, and deployment of software to multi-core or distributed hardware platforms
- Working alongside firmware and hardware engineers to develop working embedded solutions
- Software certification standards (such as DO-178C) and coding standards (such as AUTOSAR)
- Use of the Mathworks toolset (e.g. Matlab or Simulink) for mathematical or digital signal processing applications
- A solid grasp of programming and scripting languages other than C++