Find your future role
Systems Engineers - All levels
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
At Leonardo, we have a fantastic new opportunity for Systems Engineers of all levels to join us in Edinburgh.
Key skills required for this role
Systems Engineer , Comms Systems, Communication Systems, Navigation Systems, RF Systems, DOORS, Integration, IVV, V&V, Verification and Validation
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5 - year UK residency.
We are recruiting for various positions, but wherever you go, you will work on real engineering problems, designing and developing solutions that sit at the heart of our products. Your work may be exploited into:
- The radar for the Typhoon fighter jet
- The radar for the SAAB Gripen fighter
- Our family of Surveillance AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radars
- An IRCM (Infra-Red Counter Measures) system
- Our laser target designator or laser ranging systems
As a Systems Engineer, you will bridge the gap between the theoretically possible and the practically implementable. You may be involved in:
Applied research: Early research looking into exploiting new technologies or concepts
High-level design: Higher-level understanding of the impact of design decisions can have on performance
Low-level design: Detailed design, prototyping and optimisation of a solution using expertise within your technical domain.
Lab-based integration and testing: The design meeting reality and working to solve practical challenges
Supporting trials and integration on customer platforms: Getting a unique opportunity to see our products in action, and developing an increased understanding of product use cases.
We are a supportive team of talented and innovative engineers who come from a diverse range of backgrounds, such as theoretical physics, quantum physics, nonlinear optics, applied mathematics and statistics, nuclear physics, astrophysics, signal processing, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, information fusion, and robotics and autonomy!
You will work with exceptional engineers, developing the skills and knowledge required to achieve your technical and professional goals. Our working environment is fast-paced but relaxed, and we value the expertise of our engineers and work to ensure they have the autonomy and confidence to make decisions!
What will you do?
We are recruiting for a number of roles from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets!
Based upon your skills and foundation knowledge, we will assess where your knowledge and skills would best fit and discuss the options with you.
Typical work you might be involved in:
- Contribute to an early concept study investigating the application of new technology on future platforms
- Engage with stakeholders to define requirements for a new system
- Design and integrate new functionality into an existing sub-system in Simulink.
- Collaborate with other engineers to design and prototype a detailed model of a system to understand observed simulated performance.
- Design and prototype algorithms in Matlab, taking into account the limitations and constraints of the target hardware
- Investigate the cause of anomalies observed during integration or evaluation activities, using real trials data
Dependent on experience, you may lead technical activities and initiatives, or you may mentor and coach other engineers.
This is a great opportunity to bring your talents and form an integral part of Leonardo's future. We can help you develop your skills and offer great opportunities to develop and grow, so why not join us?
What are we looking for?
Ideally, you will have a science-based Honours degree or equivalent experience. You will have worked in the industry or will have advanced academic research experience. If you have a PhD, we encourage you to apply to our Research Scientists and Engineers vacancy.
We are particularly interested in speaking to you if you have experience in any of the following areas:
Systems Engineering specialisms, e.g.:
- Problem definition
- Systems Architecture
- Synthetic Environments
- Performance Modelling
- Verification and Validation
- System of Systems
Domain specialisms, e.g.:
- Digital signal processing
- RF system
- Electro-optic systems
- Medical imaging systems, image processing, image/object classification / identification
- Multi-sensor data fusion and tracking
What we can offer you?
Custom & Flexible working: We offer our employees the flex they need through flex hours and part-time options. The role may be a mixture of home-based and onsite.
Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them.
Network groups: To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender-balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
Training & Continuous Learning: You will be supported in your ongoing professional development through training and mentoring.
Employee Assistance Programme: Providing free and confidential mental health support.
Annual leave: We offer 25 days of holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 12 flexi days.