- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Communications Systems Engineer
Our client are a cutting edge marine technology business producing autonomous boats for the defence and commercial sectors.
We are looking to appoint a Communications Systems Engineer to act as the communications SME for the business, coordinate the integration of communication systems and to liaise with the software team on networking. You will lead the development of a proven suite of communications system offerings across the companies range of autonomous water craft.
You will work the engineering teams to deliver solutions that are compliant with customer technical requirements along with assisting with related acceptance activities. As well as managing communications equipment for use in systems you will manage the companies access to spectrum and provide support, as required, to customers in this area.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as named communications SME across all products and projects
- Capturing and managing internal and external customer requirements related to communication systems
- Developing standard communication system architectures that meet company requirements and use cases including, but not limited to, point-to-point LOS, MANET (including ELOS), WAN (e.g. LTE) and OTH (principally satellite)
- Planning, coordinating and/or carrying-out integration, commissioning, verification, validation and qualification activities related to communication systems (including networking)
- Identifying, collating and reporting programme and technical risks to the relevant stakeholders
- Training Technical Support and commissioning teams to implement and support (including fault finding and analysis) communication systems
- Monitoring the marketplace for new technology, capabilities and obsolescence etc.
- To ensure compliance to relevant standards, legislation and other mandatory obligations.
- To develop a relationship with Ofcom and other global regulatory bodies to both support internal use of communications systems (spectrum access) and customer applications around the world
- Providing technical support to Business Development activities including solution development, risk identification and task estimation.
- Working in accordance with departmental policies, processes, procedures using provided templates where appropriate.
- Promoting a Systems Engineering approach across the business including, but not limited to, requirement driven design, effective configuration management and both security and safety by default and by design
- Communications system architecture, specification & selection
- Link budget analysis
- Integration of communications systems with basic IP networks
- Working with technical requirements
- Test and trial planning and execution
- Writing high quality, clear and concise technical deliverables
- Integration & commissioning of communications systems
- Use of RF propagation modelling tools
- Radiation hazard analysis and mitigation
- Interference analysis
- Integration of communications systems with advanced IP networks
- Market technology surveys
- Managing spectrum licensing / engagement with key stakeholders e.g. Ofcom
- Resolving issues such as EMC & EMI
- Use of RF test equipment e.g. cable/antenna analyser, RF power meter, spectrum / vector network analyser
- Delivering training
- Experience with MANET/Mesh radio systems
- Experience with OTH/SATCOM radio systems
- Experience with WAN communications systems
- Experience with cryptographic equipment and tools
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.