- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Principal Systems Engineer
Our client are a leading defence technology business specialising in radar systems. They have an exciting opportunity for an experienced systems engineer to join their growing team.
The Principal systems engineer will run the systems engineering department across multiple sites and will be a mentor to the other systems engineers reporting to them. As part of this, the Principal systems engineer will liaise with multiple departments and entities within the group to define future developments and their interfaces, as well as being the face of the business in front of customers.
As part of a growing business, the role offers the unique opportunity to increase the team size and select additional team members in both the UK and Germany.
Generation of technical bids, designing networked multi-sensor systems, defining hardware and software changes and delivering a suite equipment to be installed are all part of the Principal systems engineer's responsibility. The Principal Systems engineer will have the responsibility of ensuring the technical maturity of the design, which will include reviewing all information produced by the systems engineering team, and providing guidance and checks to ensure the system operates and is compliant to internal or external customer requirements.
The Ideal candidate will have experience in handling complex engineering projects and running a team of systems engineers. They will be focussed on delivering projects on time and to specification and have a track record of doing so.
- Definition and delivery of Systems solutions.
- Technical support to Sales and Marketing including generating information to support bids, technical presentations to customers, generation of product specifications and attendance at customer meetings.
- Provide technical design solutions to support proposed system changes and bids ensuring appropriate compliance with customer, business and legislative requirements including safety.
- Adopt a consistent approach to systems engineering activities throughout the design life cycle.
- Take an active involvement in new product design, providing system level input from product definition through to release into production.
- Maintain and support legacy/delivered systems including visits to customer sites and installations where necessary.
- Monitor and, where possible, introduce up to date technology into system designs.
- Promote the work of the business in the field of Systems Engineering through attendance at conferences and seminars and where appropriate, through the presentation and publication of technical papers
- Mentor junior engineers, providing guidance and checking of the work produced
- Distribute work packages between the team and ensure on time delivery
- Assist in the development and specification of software features where required to meet system requirements
- Degree level qualification in Engineering / Mathematics / Science subject (or equivalent relevant experience)
- Extensive knowledge of product development, engineering change management, systems engineering and quality systems and their practical application.
- Knowledge Multi Sensor system design and performance analysis.
- Proven experience of integration and demonstration of equipment and subsequent acceptance by customer / end users.
- Proven experience of sensor integration into varied platforms.
- Proven technical skills, relating to effective systems engineering, practical application of quality assurance and configuration control, as well as appropriate document generation.
- Proven experience of managing multiple complex engineering programmes for both internal development (PV) and customer projects.
- Good Knowledge of the Use of DOORS and Jira in order to track compliance to requirements and ensure accurate traceable completion of projects.
- Good commercial/business awareness.
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge Radar, RF devices, Communications systems, Networking or electro-optical camera solutions would be an advantage.