- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Structural Specialist Highways
Civil/ Structures major infrastructure background. Specialist role. Consultant.
Must be IEng or Chartered.
Inside IR35, ASAP start. 6 months initially with up to 2 year workload.
Can work nearly fully remotely, flexi.
- Examination of Technical Approval submission proposals for new works, temporary works, assessment, maintenance, refurbishment, modification and demolition of all forms of highway structure, to assure compliance with the requirements of the Design Manual for Roads & Bridges.
- Undertake the role of the Technical Approval Authority (TAA) for Category 0 & 1 structure Technical Approvals in accordance with CG300 (formerly BD2). Make formal recommendations to Highways England's Technical Approval Authority to accept, accept with comments, or reject Category 2 & 3 Technical Approval submissions.
- Discussion of structure related proposals with consultants engaged in the design, assessment, and checking of highway structures, to clarify and resolve technical issues.
- Examination of Departure from Standards proposals, carrying out consultation with Specialists as necessary and making recommendations to the Principal Structures Advisor/Team Leader.
- Providing advice on structural proposals and other structures work to internal and external customers.
- Attending project and site meetings to represent the Technical Approval Authority and to provide specialist structural advice and report progress. Also attending Value Management, Value Engineering, Risk and other project workshops.
- Maintenance and Operation of Highways England's asset management and inventory systems including but not restricted to Integrated Asset Management Information System (IAMIS) Structures, and Departures Approval System (DAS).
- Population and operation of the Structures Task Management System (BRUNEL).
- Filing of correspondence and documentation within Highways England's electronic filing system SHARE (includes scanning and/or uploading Technical Approval documentation).
- Good working knowledge and experience of using the new DMRB, MCHW and Eurocodes
Familiarity with the Highways Technical Approval Authority procedures, preferably for Highways England
Previous TAA experience (preferably highways environment) beneficial