- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Systems Engineer
Our client are a growing defence technology business seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to join them in their Horsham offices.
Overall Purpose of the Role
We currently require an experienced Senior Systems Engineer to lead the full design and development life cycle of electrical and electronic systems, hardware and embedded software. In addition, this role is necessarily expected to drive the continuous improvement of systems engineering within the broader engineering team through mentoring, training and process improvement.
- Champion the systems engineering discipline within the engineering team, providing continuous improvement to processes, mentoring/training of staff and providing recommendations to the Engineering Director aligned with the Strategic Plan
- Support project managers in the formation of project plans, estimates, identification and management of risk/issues, project reporting and adherence to schedule and cost
- Identify cost and schedule reduction opportunities during project planning and through project lifecycle
- Solicit from stakeholders and derive system level functional and performance requirements at the outset of projects and manage compliance through-life.
- Support the team in the analysis, breakdown and derivation of requirements for lower level subsystems and engineering disciplines
- Provide system architectural designs and trade off analyses
- Take technical leadership of multi-discipline engineering design projects and provide guidance to other engineers during development project phases.
- Engage with supply chain, production and test departments throughout the development process to optimise design for manufacture and test
- Lead design reviews with customers
- Take a hands-on leadership role in the planning and execution of integration, validation and verification, compliance and commissioning aspects of the products
- Provide line management and career coaching of direct reports as required.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Strong degree in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent, relevant experience
- Demonstrable passion for the systems engineering discipline
- Demonstrable understanding and experience in requirements capture and through-life management
- Strong experience of systems engineering on multidisciplinary projects
- Strong experience of cradle to grave product development, including verification and validation and beyond
- Proven experience of leading and successfully delivering multi-disciplinary projects.
- Design experience in products requiring combined mechanical, electronic and software components.
- Evidence of drive and initiative for continuous improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrable initiative/innovation in problem solving
- Good all-round practical understanding of electrical and electronics systems.
- Highly organised and methodical with an eye for detail.
- The ability to work independently of other staff when required.
- A flexible, conscientious and diligent attitude.
- A resilient and adaptable approach at all times.
- A team-orientated approach with the ability to build effective working relationships with key stakeholders.