- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Electrical Engineer (Automotive Electrification)
An opportunity exists within the Automotive Electrification and Battery Development Team for an Electrical Engineer to deliver client technology projects.
- Deliver technical content of client projects in the areas of automotive systems electrification and high-power battery development.
- Perform detailed electrical design calculations for low voltage and high voltage battery and vehicle systems.
- Provide electrical design and integration knowledge and support to client projects.
- Support power electronics and e-machine development teams within Ricardo with battery and electrical technical input.
- Develop electrical architectures for bespoke client battery and system projects.
- Select electrical components suitable for client specific battery designs.
- Assist in the process of appropriate battery cell selection for client specific battery projects.
- Develop and calculate battery cell electrical configurations.
- Provide electrical knowledge and design support to the wider electrification teams within Ricardo.
- Work on the electrical design integration of electrification systems from prototype through to full series production on client hybrid and electric vehicle projects.
- Develop and expand product validation plans and specifications for electrical and battery systems.
- Interface directly with clients on technical issues, occasionally working as part of the client engineering team at the client site or any one of the Ricardo offices.
- Liaise with suppliers/subcontractors to agree the specification of purchased components and delivery requirements for ongoing projects.
- Support lead engineers in other areas of Ricardo in the development of electrical and electronic systems.
- Work to client quality procedures and validation processes.
- Support the development of future products and services.
- Support business development activities and proposals with technical input.
- Be proactive, self-motivated, and demonstrate attention to detail in a design environment.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- The successful applicant will have a sound engineering background, ideally in an automotive field, and a number of years of experience of successfully delivering projects either in an OEM or Tier 1 capacity.
- Minimum of a degree in an Engineering or Science related discipline (e.g. electrical and electronic engineering/mechanical engineering/physics/computer science/software engineering/maths/control engineering).
- Electrical design calculations.
- Knowledge of battery architectures and cell chemistries used in hybrid & electric vehicles.
- Knowledge of designing automotive high current and high voltage (12 to 1200Vdc) power systems, (connectors, bus bars, cables, contactors & fusing, insulation requirements).
- Experience of electrical component integration (up to 1000V).
- Experience of design & development for low or high volume products particularly HV battery systems and sub systems in a tier 1 or OEM environment.
- An understanding of project delivery approaches.
- Good interpersonal and client facing skills.
- Strong teamwork, organizational, oral communication, and written communication skills.
Desired Qualifications & Experience
It would be beneficial, but not essential if the applicant had some experience or knowledge in any of the following fields:
- Experience in battery management systems.
- Analytical approach to developing controls algorithms in an automotive environment.
- Experience in a model-based development languages such as Matlab/Simulink.
- Familiar with laboratory & field development & test equipment.
- Experience of DC-DC converter and battery charger design and development.
- Experience in DFMEA for Electrical Systems.
- Experience in Design Validation processes, planning and testing.
- Hands on experience of working live with HV systems (>60V).
- Familiar with product delivery process from requirements capture through to design validation of hybrid and electric vehicle battery systems.
- Experience in compliance engineering to external standards, such as battery handling, EMC, vehicle safety, functional safety ISO26262 etc.
- Battery cell technical and industry knowledge.
- High Voltage safety training.
- Please note this is an electrical engineering position not a detailed electronics design position although electronics design knowledge would be a welcome addition.