- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Head of Design and Engineering
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Engineer to join a leading firm in the North.
To perform the role of built environment expert for the North team, contributing to strategy and project development, including contributing towards bid writing.
To manage, plan and allocate the work of a team of urban designers, engineers and technicians, ensuring that their work achieves organisational quality standards and that they achieve their financial targets. To be part of a UK wide team able to direct resources, matching skills to contract delivery requirements.
Place in Organisational Structure:
The post holder will report to the England Director, North.
England Director, North
Head of Partnerships, North
Head of Delivery, North
Head of Network Development, North
Head of Built Environment (Bristol)
Other Engineering and Design teams
Health and Safety teams
Regional partners engaged in design and construction of sustainable transport infrastructure.
Commissioners and funders
• To contribute to strategic direction of the North as a member of the North management team.
• To support the development, implementation and tracking of annual work plans for the North.
Delivery of projects or services
• To work with colleagues, clients and key partners to develop and deliver major walking, cycling and urban design projects in the North, including planning, design and project management of construction in urban areas.
• To lead on providing the technical input to engineering and urban design projects and contracts in the North.
• To oversee the delivery by the Engineering and Design team, of high quality design and engineering solutions that meet the standards and aspirations and fulfil client briefs.
• To be a company-wide engineering and design resource, working on nationally and regionally significant projects, contributing expert advice across a wide range of urban projects and settings.
• To ensure the team is maximizing its utilisation rates, tracking progress via timesheets and minimizing over or under utilisations by effective forward planning.
• To be responsible for adherence to the Project Management Framework
• To work with the Partnership Manager to secure the inclusion of deliverable plans for sustainable active travel infrastructure in Strategic Economic Plans, Transport Plans, large scale development plans and urban design, cycling and walking strategies. • To liaise with local enterprise partnerships, councils, community groups, consultants and contractors to develop and secure opportunities for the company to deliver improved cycling and walking infrastructure through consultation and funded projects.
• To establish a reputation regionally and as part of a companywide team for innovative design and meeting and exceeding partner expectations.
• To participate in bid writing for projects at the direction of own line manager.
• To contribute toward the development of new ideas and innovative strategies for product development, marketing, branding, or business opportunities.
Communication and marketing:
•To build a portfolio of engineering and design expertise that is used for internal communication and business development purposes.
• To contribute towards raising the profile of the company, by representing the charity at meetings, activities and events, as required.
• To lead the work of the Design and Engineering team for the North directing resources effectively and ensuring work is timetabled and delivered on time and on budget.
• To manage, develop and coach the Design and Engineering team members by setting clear objectives and monitoring performance to maximise their potential.
• To work with HR to ensure that training and development of staff is planned effectively and in line with business need.
Training and development
• To represent the region on national engineering and design quality assurance and technical discussion groups and liaise with regional and national technical teams to share and adopt good practice and knowledge.
• To develop the region’s capacity and expertise in technical and urban design, engineering and project management through team management, training and recruitment of specialist expertise, providing expert oversight of infrastructure work and support for the professional development of the team.
• To lead training sessions for team and wider organisation on their own specialism.
• To ensure own personal development by working to objectives set as part of the Charity’s appraisal process.
• To attend essential training as required.
• To encourage and support the mentoring of more junior members of the team to facilitate their career development.
Health & safety, safeguarding and equality, diversity & inclusion
• To support and comply with the organisation’s policies for the management of Health & Safety.
• To support and comply with the organisation’s policies for the management of safeguarding.
• To oversee the management of Health & Safety responsibilities for design and construction projects, including CDM requirements.
• To support and comply with the companies policy and procedures relating to Equality, Diversity & Inclusion and apply principles of best practice in own role.
• This role may have additional responsibilities as a member of a network of colleagues working on company-wide oversight of network development.
• Any other duties consistent with the nature and grade of the role as agreed with the line manager.
The post holder will live close to the nominated office base although there may be opportunities to work from home at times. Overnight stays away from home may be necessary when participating in projects away from their designated base. Occasional weekend and late working may be required with time off in lieu. The post holder must be prepared to walk, cycle or use public transport for the majority of work journeys.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Civil Infrastucture
- HS2 plans to recruit more women and ethnic minority engineers
The Year of Engineering is the perfect time to create a more diverse workforce. Here’s how the government proposes to use HS...
- Video: Why HS2 will be career defining for engineers
In our short video, Matchtech’s HS2 expert, Graham Day, explains what the project is all about and the career opportunities...