- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Senior Design Engineer
Our Essex based client is seeking a Senior Design Engineer to assist in leading one of the area based delivery teams within Highways Design Service acting as deputy to the Team Leader.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the implementation of the programmes of work ensuring that these are in accordance with the policies and strategic aims of the client. You will also assist in managing a team of technicians and apprentices to ensure that they are developed and their programme of work is implemented according to agreed timescales and the required quality standards.
- Assist the Team Leader by forming an integral part in leading the team, deputising as required.
- Provide clear and robust leadership to ensure that staff are clear of their direction, motivated and that productivity is maximised.
- Monitor staff performance to ensure delivery of individual annual objectives and support the career development of staff.
- Manage the delivery of the local programme of works within the team ensuring that it is delivered to budget, to agreed timescales and to the right quality.
- Provide technical direction for staff dealing with all aspects of the highway service.
- Manage the development of the local Highways Panel Schemes for including in the annual programme of work.
- Manage the feasibility, design, tendering and construction of the local programme of works.
- Ensure strong budgetary control and financial management is undertaken throughout areas of responsibility.
- Undertake the development and review of policies, plans, procedures and practices as required.
- Prepare reports for projects including local briefing notes, Chief Officer Approvals, Cabinet Member Approvals and Key Decisions
- Provide timely and accurate advice to County Councillors, District Members, Parish Councils and the general public on all highway-related matters as required.
- Manage and promote Health and Safety, Environmental Management System, Quality Management System and Construction Design Management, with the aim of minimising work related injuries
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Degree, or equivalent high level qualification, or significant experience in highways.
- Membership or working towards membership of a relevant Professional Institution.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Demonstrable knowledge of national guidance, legislation and regulations relating to design and implementation of highway schemes. In particular, expertise in the Highway Act 1980 and current CDM is required.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, managing the design and implementation of highway schemes including statutory processes involved with these activities
- Knowledge and application of budgetary management and control measures
- Knowledge of a wide range of relevant engineering or service techniques and procedures.
- Appropriate knowledge and application of Health and Safety legislation
- Experience of advising elected Members and influencing local decision makers and other stake holders desirable.
- Demonstrable awareness of environmental aspects and impacts and waste management.
- Experience of management of staff including performance management.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Highways
- 5 qualities that make a great highway engineer
What do the best highway engineers have in common? Joe Wilson, Department Manager of Highways at Matchtech, shares the top q...
- Top jobs for civil engineering graduates
If you've just finished your engineering degree and are looking for that first step into the industry, read our article whic...