- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Principal Hardware Engineer
Our client are a major defence technology business currently seeking a principal level Hardware Design Engineer to join them in their Tewkesbury office.
What will the role entail?
- Taking responsibility for the design and overall quality of the hardware, and provide leadership and guidance for junior engineers
- Documentation of design specifications and implementation details
- Lead design reviews
- Upholding of hardware design standards and methodologies
- Realisation of complex system requirements to provide robust and reliable hardware solutions
- Responsibility for the complete implementation of detailed technical items and an understanding/appreciation of system level items
- Flexibility is essential as specifications may not be fully defined at the start of development, and liaison for continued feedback and input of requirements is likely throughout the development
- Collaboration with other team members (including hardware, firmware, software, mechanical and PCB engineers) to agree system specifications, interfaces and protocols etc
- Development of appropriate test hardware and procedures, both informal and formal, to prove the correct operation of hardware
- Provide support for the hardware and manage component obsolescence throughout its lifecycle
- Monitoring and reporting of progress of development to immediate supervisor and development team
- Use of Mentor Graphics schematic entry (including signal integrity analysis)
What skills will I need to be successful?
- Design of analogue and digital circuits for man-portable battery-powered and high-power vehicle systems
- Experience of implementation of technologies including:
- High speed digital interfaces (PCIe, 10G Ethernet, USB 3)
- Memory (DDR3, DDR4, Flash) - Embedded Microprocessors (including ARM)
- FPGA circuit implementation (Xilinx, Intel, Microsemi)
- Power supply design for FPGAs and Processors
- Low power design
- Ability to design, integrate and test PCBAs and systems
- Good understanding of the component market and COTS product offerings
What additional skills would be beneficial?
- PCB layout
- RF circuit design
- Use of RF test equipment
- Basic VHDL
- Basic embedded software
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.