- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Health and Safety Group Manager
To partner and work collaboratively with business leaders to translate business priorities into health and safety activities.
The successful candidate will ensure the organisational approach to health and safety is managed to a consistent high-quality standard and will contribute to the creation of a high performance health and safety culture by inspiring them to deliver aligned ways of working.
- Translate business strategy and requirements into the clients health and safety plans and ensure that the relevant key objectives are appropriately represented in the business area strategy and plan.
- Develop and lead relevant health and safety programmes, plans and initiatives to engage colleagues and ensure a consistent health and safety leadership across the Directorate.
- Develop, direct and maintain a health and safety team to deliver high quality services to meet the needs of the Directorate and support delivery of its health and safety design, construction, operations and maintenance objectives.
- Support the development of programme and project health and safety targets, consistent with and aligned to, overall Highways England objectives.
- Monitor health and safety performance and provide feedback to business leaders, line managers and other colleagues in the Directorate that bring insight in order to help shape business strategy and decision-making
- Support, advice and influence senior business leaders on health and safety matters affecting delivery of organisational targets.
- Engage business leaders to advocate and demonstrate compliance with the appropriate health and safety policy and champion sustainable interventions
Budget management responsibilities
- Responsibility for the delivery of health and safety projects' budget
Key contacts/relationships/stakeholders managed
- Colleagues in Health & Safety Division.
- Senior leaders in business units/directorates and their supporting teams.
- Principal designers.
- Principal contractors.
- Trade Unions.
- Supply chain partners and other service providers.
Business Knowledge and Experience
- Degree or NEBOSH Diploma in health and safety and member of a recognised professional body (e.g. CMIOSH).
- In depth knowledge of industry and health and safety legislation and its interpretation and good health and safety practice in a client, infrastructure asset and employer context.
Knowledge of governance guidelines, compliance and legislative requirements and thorough understanding of the business being supported (e.g. commercial and procurement) as well as of health and safety best practices in the sector.
- Knowledge of the design, construct, operate and maintain lifecycle.
- Proven experience aligning health and safety strategy and services with business strategy and needs, preferably working for a major infrastructure asset owner or developer.
- Demonstrable experience of working at a senior management level and directing health and safety teams.
Functional / Technical Skills
- Ability to collaborate across the business and with partners to provide specialised health and safety advice.
- Ability to act as a role model, promoting a health and safety culture and related behaviours.
- High level relationship and stakeholder management skills are critical.
- Ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately.
- Sound consulting, facilitation, and advisory skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with leaders and other colleagues.
Values and Behaviours
- Safety: Keep ourselves and others safe, above all else
- Passion: Deliver with energy and pace, care about what we do, continuously improve and innovate, provide great service in everything we do
- Integrity: Open, honest and professional, respect and value the contribution others make, do what we say, always do the right thing
Teamwork: Work together effectively to achieve our goals, work efficiently and flexibly, listen to others and communicate clearly
Ownership: Take accountability, learn from failure and celebrate success, agree stretching goals and delivering them, maintain focus on our imperative.
- 26 days Annual Leave per year increasing by 1 day/year to maximum of 31
- Pension total 15% (5% employee contribution + 10% HE contribution)
- Flexible working - 37 hours week (7.5 hours/day)
- Performance Related Pay Bonus of up to 10% based on personal and Company performance
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.