The successful candidate must be able to:
- Perform 'hands on' mechanical design and development using 3D CAD software (ideally PTC Creo), including 'first-pass' structural analysis to determine if a design is fit for purpose.
- Set standards for mechanical engineering best practice.
- Deliver innovative, optimised engineering solutions.
- Deliver design solutions against requirements, within budget and timescales.
- Develop and coach engineers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills.
- Contribute to and conduct peer reviews.
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools (ideally PTC Creo).
- Provide technical direction on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Lead/ provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
- Mentor design engineers with on-the-job coaching.
- Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance.
- Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business.
- Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvement and development activities.
- Confident in their subject and decisive with ideas and recommendations.
- Supportive mentor - provide technical guidance/ recommendations to problems/ projects and individuals.
- Respectful of others with a high degree of personal integrity.
- Effective listener - understand others points of view.
- Challenge ideas, proposed solutions and people in a constructive, positive manner.
- Keen to develop others.
- Business focussed - "best" technical solution not always most appropriate for business.
- Effective decision maker who can effectively demonstrate empowerment and delegation.
- Cost and schedule conscious.
- Tenacious - maintains focus on the 'end goal'.
- Acts in the greater good of the business and others.
- Ability to make effective trade-offs - cost, quality and schedule.
- Travel (UK/abroad)
- Office Based
- Overnight stay
- Tight Deadlines (regular or adhoc)
- Basic hours -37 hrs, 5 days
- Display Screen Equipment User
- Pressured Environment
The role may require some travel e.g. to visit other sites or customers, this is unlikely to be a regular occurrence however may be necessary as and when business needs dictate. Individuals may be required to work to tight deadlines to meet the needs of the business, as required.
- Technical or science degree qualified, or equivalent, with experience.
- Ideally hold a MEng in Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering design and development - process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Problem solving and simultaneous engineering - structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner.
- Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc.
- Delegation - ability to effectively delegate tasks to appropriate senior engineers/ engineers and provide required level of support.
- Mechanical Engineering design and development - process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
- Understanding of people and projects - experience in coordinating resources to deliver customer and individual needs through demonstration of situational leadership.
- Customer orientation - demonstrate ability to fulfil customer requirements (internal and/or external).
- Business awareness - understanding of fundamental business principles, drivers and key customers.
- Mechanical Engineering industry trends - knowledge of new and advancing tools, techniques and technologies.