- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Sustainable Transport/Travel Consultant
To develop, promote and support delivery of Sustainable Transport particularly through Cycle Training and School Travel Plans in accordance with the Council's School Travel Plan Strategy, Local Implementation Plan and Service Plan.
To help reduce road casualties by increasing public awareness of, and effecting a change in public attitude to cycling and road safety.
- The postholder reports to the Principal Officer for Traffic Management and Road Safety via the Senior Safety Education Officer
- The postholder has no line management responsibility.
- The postholder has no direct budget responsibility.
- The postholder has specific Health and Safety and risk management responsibilities in respect of co-ordinating service delivery.
- The postholder may be required to work evenings, weekends and occasional public holidays, in order to deliver the services.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities
Key tasks and accountabilities are intended to be a guide to the range and level of work expected of the postholder. This is not an exhaustive list of all tasks that may fall to the postholder and employees will be expected to carry out such other reasonable duties which may be required from time to time.
- To be a member of the Traffic & Transportation Group
- To develop and co-ordinate support for school communities creating and implementing School Travel Plans (STP's); and for residents, schools, businesses, community groups and/or cycle clubs undertaking cycle training and sustainable transport activities in the borough.
- To develop and implement promotional material and publicity in accordance with the strategy for STPs.
- To assist the Nominated Officer in the development, implementation, and co-ordination of the Cycle Training Providers Contract in accordance with the Council's procurement policy.
- To review and monitor existing cycle training guidelines and courses offered under the service delivery plan.
- To interpret national guidelines and implement all necessary changes in order to achieve and maintain National Standards in cycle training; and to review existing School Travel Plan Guidelines, both locally and nationally, and consider and develop additional supporting information for schools.
- To liaise with other departments and establish links with outside agencies to identify key areas that would improve cycling within the borough.
- To maintain levels of stock, renew and upgrade any resources necessary for the Council's Cycle Training Programme.
- To maintain awareness of and, where management and Member approval is in place, submit applications for external funding streams for sustainable travel initiatives.
- To advise and prepare draft committee reports on school travel plan issues and attend relevant meetings.
- To work with schools that have a travel plan in place, helping them to write reviews and update their travel plans on a yearly basis.
- To maintain an awareness of legislation and policy initiatives and to advice schools on complex matters
- To review existing monitoring and evaluation procedures and develop ways to accurately record and determine progress made by schools in implementing School Travel Plans, and by schools and residents undertaking cycle training.
- To raise awareness of, and encourage active participation in, sustainable travel initiatives at all levels within the borough.
- To liaise with other officers and external bodies in co-ordinating and monitoring the installation of cycle parking.
- To deal sensitively and positively with correspondence and telephone calls on a wide variety of school travel plan, cycling, and road safety issues
- To input and maintain data for STP's (existing and developing), and cycle training into current IT databases provided.
- To plan, organise and evaluate promotional STP and cycling events and campaigns beneficial to the borough.
- To develop the full range of professional skills and knowledge to satisfy the requirement of the post.
- To assist with Councils Safety Education, Training & Publicity programmes.
- Such other duties within competence of the post-holder, which may be reasonably required from time to time.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.