- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Principal Simulation Engineer
Our key client that specialises in first class, business class and premium economy interiors for commercial aircraft currently have an opportunity for a Principal Simulation Engineer at their site in Cwmbran, South Wales.
The Principal Simulation Engineer is responsible for providing technical expertise with respect to dynamic analysis in supporting the development of all team members, risk mitigation on critical programs and continual process and methods improvement within the stress department.
- Extensive in-depth working knowledge of non-linear explicit FE analysis methods in the simulation of seating systems under dynamic crash loads, including the simulation of ATD's, seating restraint systems, airbags and soft foams. Preferably experience in Radioss.
- When required directly provide technical support to the program specific stress teams to:
- Ensure that the risk of a certification test failure is managed effectively and minimised with the use of appropriate dynamic analytical methods and judgement.
- Review and approve non-linear explicit/crash FE models for seating products to support the design and certification process, plus the in-service life of the product.
- Review and approve stress and structural documentation to submit for internal/external customers and regulatory approval.
- Review and approve drawings, designs, concessions and repairs with respect to stress.
- Support the Design team in ensuring that products meet cost and weight targets.
Job specific Competencies:
- Minimum - 2:1 Bachelors (Honours) degree or equivalent in Mechanical/Aerospace/Structural Engineering.
- Preferably - MEng or PhD with specialism in FEA, simulation, dynamics, materials and/or structures. Degree accredited with IMechE. CEng status.
- 5 years+ working in Aerospace or comparable industry.
- Organisational and planning skills with ability to plan and manage the work of a small technical team, meet deadlines and work effectively with different functions and levels of responsibility.
- Experience of working to industry standards and codes. Knowledge of Part 25 (EASA/FAA) and Boeing / Airbus specifications. Knowledge of Aerospace Material Standards and Material or component test standards and post-processing methods (e.g. ASTMs and B-Basis calculations)
- Prepare, review and approve advanced linear/non-linear implicit FEMs and/or non-linear explicit FEMs and/or MBD models of large complex assemblies.
- Ability to conduct complex assembly and component optimization (e.g. Optistruct or Hyperstudy).
- Defining new standards in FEM building, analysis and hand calculations.
- Prepare, review and approve hand calculations in accordance with industry standard methods using Microsoft Excel and/or Mathcad.
- Analysing structures made with high performance steels, corrosion resistant steels, aluminium and/or composite materials of both monolithic and sandwich panel construction.
- Prepare, review and approve concise technical reports and presentations.
- Ability to program VBA, Python or similar language
- Proficient in root cause analysis (4D/8D/Ishikawa)
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.