- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Electrical Design Engineer
UK Power Networks are looking for an experienced Electrical Design Engineer to join the team. Candidates will work on a wide range of projects and will need to have experience on 11kv-132kv projects.
Responsible for producing and reviewing electrical engineering designs on APP and Connection projects as part of the design process in the HUB Team. These designs will be developed from scopes provided by Asset Management or Connections. They will include project costings to customer requirements for time, quality and budget as well as adoption of the innovative solutions to provide cost efficiencies.
The designer will liaise with the Project Manager, internal and external designers and all others involved in the design process, ensuring full compliance with Statutory regulations and relevant UKPN standards for designs for all customers.
- Production of Electrical Designs that can be constructed in compliance with standards and CDM requirements
- Produce effective designs, which conform to all relevant Codes of Practice and company and industry standards, in conjunction with Civil Design.
- Oversee and contribute to the production of technical, commercial and contractual documents for procurement of engineering products
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations and company procedures.
- Compliance with design assurance and audit processes
- Preparation of tenders and quotations, from specifications and drawings within defined periods.
- Provide an excellent service to the customer.
- Work as a Team Player in a dedicated team of Designers and Estimators
- Liaise with the operational teams to ensure a smooth process from initial enquiry through to the detailed design stage and construction.
- Complying with the requirements of the designer as determined by the CDM Regulations.
- Ensure design eliminates any hazards which may give rise to risks; and reduce risks from any remaining hazards (in conjunction with CDM)
- Ensure designs provide sufficient information about aspects of the design of the structure or its construction or maintenance as well adequately assist client, other designers and contractors
- Ensure all the relevant surveys are identified during the initial stage of the design.
- Participate / or take a lead on any plant related incident investigations
- Participate or take a lead on plant technical forums.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- A strong electrical engineering background, knowledge and experience in electrical engineering and power systems with emphasise on standards, design, operational & maintenance aspects of plant at 132 kV down to 11 kV, with at least 5 years of experience. A good understanding of network running arrangements as well as protection design at 132 kV down to 11 kV.
- Competence in resolving a significant range of technical power engineering issues and in providing technical advice; a sound understanding of company standards and policies and their application to this role. Awareness of current and technological developments in distribution plant and equipment.
- Ability to work with external engineering organisations and customers/stakeholders representing UKPN to best effect.
- A good safety culture and sound understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations and their application in this role.
- Ability to work unsupervised, set and comply with own targets, and identify and implement innovative cost saving solutions.
- Good team working skills
- A good level of business, environmental, safety, financial, and regulatory awareness;
- A general appreciation of financial reporting systems;
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 procedures relevant to the team's activities;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft desktop applications, in particular: Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint;
- Experience of AutoCAD software would be beneficial
- Strong interpersonal skills, and be competent in written and oral communications.
- Qualified to a Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer Status (via HNC/HND or degree in electrical engineering) with proven relevant experience. Member of relevant professional body
- Broad knowledge of cables, M&E and overhead lines.
The post holder is required to undertake site visits as part of this role and this will include entry to operational substations where compliance with safety rules and procedures is mandatory.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.