- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Piping & Internal Systems)
Our leading defence client are currently in the process of the Mechanical (Piping & Internals) Design of the new Nuclear Submarine for the UK named Dreadnought.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Piping & Internal Systems) - 12+ Months Contract - Manchester
Local: £28ph LTD & Non Local: £34ph LTD (Other Pay Methods Available)
This role will require the person to hold full Security Clearance (SC) prior to working onsite. You must currently hold or be eligible and willing to obtain SC. You must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship and have lived and worked in the UK for a minimum 5 year period. If you are unsure as to whether you are eligible, please contact me to discuss.
Dreadnought is a long-term project based out of Manchester (and Barrow) to design and build the UKs next generation of Nuclear Submarine. This work is once is a once in a generation opportunity to work in cutting edge mechanical design, working daily on solutions to problems potentially never seen before. Although initially a 12 month contract, the work shall be continuing for the foreseeable future, and this is likely to be extended until completion.
- The role focuses around 2D and 3D designs of a new design submarine and troubleshooting colleagues work. The new submarine is of paramount importance to UK security, so delays in build are unacceptable.
- Positions are available on their Standard, Piping and HVAC teams.
- There are 100 different piping systems involved, so if you are an experienced Piping Designer from any sector, get in touch.
- Any Reactor, Platform, Propulsion or Weapons experience is most valuable.
- Ability to work under immense pressure is useful due to time constraints and right first time mentality.
- Develop and produce CAD models, drawings and other Technical Outputs consistent with the contractual requirements to meet target dates and budget demands (Delivery to time, quality and budget)
- Develop and draw 2D Diagrams, utilising the relevant tool-set.
- 3D Integration within the Product Model
- Produce other technical outputs consistent with contractual requirements
- Provide and produce relevant calculations.
- Produce drawing outputs from the 3D Model
- Perform self-verification of own work
- Cross checking of peers and subordinates work
- Produce Process Standards
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience of design in one or more of the following industries: Defence, Power Industry or Oil and Gas or similar industries.
- Demonstrable ability at utilising 2D CAD design packages
- Ability to apply the relevant Engineering processes regarding the integration, of the relevant, systems and equipment within the 3D CAD Product Model.
- Show knowledge of one or more of the following areas: Air Systems, Fluid Systems, Fire Fighting Systems, and Instrumentation (relevant to Machinery Control and Instrumentation)
- Expert knowledge of design software such as FORAN, CATIA 5, Siemens NX or other software's.
- Ability to perform the supporting calculations with the regard to the above areas
- Shipbuilding/ marine experience preferred but not essential.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.