- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Senior Scientist - Materials
Our client is a South East based tech company involved in the high growth electric vehicle market. We seek talented individuals to join the team and support further development and production activities.
Purpose of the Job:
As a recognised expert, you will apply materials science theory and experimental methodology to advance our understanding of performance and degradation, thereby supporting the development of metal supported solid oxide cells (SOC).
- Provide strong scientific/technical expertise in the development of SOC technologies from concept to product launch.
- In particular, be a subject matter expert, and provide scientific and technical expertise by
- delivering improved materials and processes required to meet project technical objectives within agreed timescales.
- completing background research into innovative materials and processing routes and create strategies for development.
- creating, implement and support strategies to characterise the performance and stability of the fuel cell
- presenting technical progress and timing against delivery targets to the technical management and program management office.
- transferring of process developments into the cell and stack manufacturing team.
- Support processes for the development and manufacture of components used in SOC Technologies, and be a trouble-shooter providing solutions to technical challenges faced in projects.
- Support resolution of issues (technical, scientific, analytical, IP, etc) that affect, or have the potential to affect, the development of SOC technologies, component manufacturing processes, meeting "life" and "cost" targets for product development.
- Identify and analyse design problems to achieve optimal solutions that satisfy cost and technical requirements using both internal and external technical resources. Formulate new, innovative approaches to solve technical problems on a consistent basis.
- Recognise and disseminate information about emerging trends (scientific, technical, IP, etc) that impact our clients ability to deliver its customer projects or win business in both short and long terms.
- Support definition of new and existing materials engineering design requirements and develop specifications in accordance with manufacturing, marketing, and customer expectations and requirements.
- Communicate key information and recommendations to influence technical decisions and strategy.
- Support the company's in-house analytical characterisation and data analysis capabilities to ensure they are developed sufficiently and used and maintained effectively to meet materials characterisation requests.
Qualification, Knowledge and Experience:
In addition to a high level of professionalism and experience of industry-driven projects, working in a multidisciplinary team, the following are
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field.
- Scientific knowledge/understanding of some of the following: ceramics materials and processing, metallurgy, electro-ceramics, ceramic sintering, electrochemistry, organometallic chemistry, polymer chemistry, sol-gels and colloids.
- Experience with some of the following materials characterisation techniques: SEM with EDS/WDX, XRD, PSD, STA/DTA, BET, dilatometry, FIB-SEM, XRF, ACIS/EIS, rheology, electrochemical testing, indentation and mechanical properties testing, 3D tomography, SIMS, ICP-MS.
- Experience with some of the following manufacturing processes: screen printing, ink formulation and manufacturing processes, other thin film deposition processes, ceramic sintering, laser drilling and/or welding.
- candidate needs to demonstrate an entrepreneurial and can-do attitude to meet the goals of a fast-paced technology development environment.
Highly desirable skills:
- In-depth understanding degradation mechanisms of materials in both SOFC and SOEC mode.
- Experience of modelling of SOC electrodes.
- Expertise in 6-sigma/DoE techniques.
- Experience in working with high volume ceramic manufacturing.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills.
Internal & External Relationships:
- Reporting directly into the Senior Principal Scientist as part of the Fuel Cell Development team, with day-to-day supervision.
- Working in multi-disciplinary, cross function project team providing technical expertise on the cell technology with specific focus on materials science and processing.
- Regular progress reporting to the technical management team and program management office.
- Working with external experts to develop knowledge and capability in processes and characterisation methods.
You will receive a generous package including:
- Competitive Salary from £50,000 depending on relevant skills and experience
- 37.5 hours / week with flexible working.
- excellent contributory pension
- life assurance
- cycle to work scheme
- share save scheme
- 1 professional membership per annum.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.