- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Senior Outfit Engineer
BAE Systems are seeking a Senior Outfit Engineer to work on the Type 26 surface ship in Scotstoun, Glasgow.
Senior Outfit Engineer - Scotstoun (Glasgow) - 6 months - £36ph LTD (Other Payment Methods Available)
This role requires you to undertake a BPSS + Criminal Record Check.
- Undertake a defined range of Wholeship - Integration activities including Outfit systems, compartment design and integration activities in line with all relevant processes and quality requirements.
- Supplying advice and support to internal and external customers ensuring defined objectives are achieved whilst continually maintaining quality and service requirements.
- Requires knowledge and experience of naval or commercial ship outfit systems with the experience to support system and spatial integration issues with other disciplines.
- Outfit includes the design or operation of: Deck coverings, Coatings, Insulation & Linings, Accommodation and Wet Spaces, Medical, Ship's Access & Escape (i.e. doors, hatches, ladders. etc.), Evacuation & Lifesaving, Removal routes, Commissariat, Galley & Laundry, Offices, Stores (incl. refrigerated) & Workshops * Human Factors awareness * Damage, Control & Portable Firefighting, Equipment Procurement Packs, Rule sets: Def. Standards, Lloyds, Naval Rules, Compartment and Product Safety.
- Produce Layout Drawings for Outfit compartments for review by stakeholders and to allow Stage 2 to correctly model these spaces.
- Update Windchill PLM with mature parts, systems, occurrences and compartment data to ensure it correctly presents the baseline design.
- Prepare technical equipment specifications; develop designs in line with all specifications and standards and co-ordinate with suppliers to ensure delivery to the agreed specification.
- Produce Procurement Pack documentation.
- Co-ordinate with systems engineers and designers on the integration of Outfit systems.
- Support and attend FATs, HATs and SATs during the build, commissioning and trials phases.
- Support acceptance activities for Outfit facilities and equipment.
- Support HAZIDs, Design, Zonal and Safety Reviews.
- Develop Ship design specifications and carry out activities in line with specifications and all quality/ technical standards, examples being development of packages and Arrangements.
- Participate in developing, maintaining and modifying Outfit processes and procedures in response to technical developments and operational need.
- Carry out technical analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of technical options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the design of improvements.
- Contribute to process improvement within the operational and/or engineering team to deliver continuous improvements in quality, cycle time and asset utilisation.
- Liaise with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters.
- Managing a small Engineering team.
- Review, check & sign off calculations/documents completed by Outfit Engineers.
- Make Engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and delegated authority.
- Contribute to engineering team decisions to support the effective performance of the team.
- Answer technical queries about own work within their level of knowledge and competency
- Undertake general business and other design and integration activities, in support of maturing the design, as directed by Line Management.
Qualifications and Knowledge Needed
- Typically degree qualified (not essential).
- Working towards the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council.
- Good experience in engineering or a defence related industry.
- Able to perform analysis using recognised analytical tools and to make sound judgements
- Has sufficient capability to be able to make correct trade-off decisions
- Good Experience in an Outfit Ship Design environment.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to management and peers.
- Understanding Detail Design Requirements as immediate customer in Engineering Lifecycle
- Experience with CAD software like AutoCAD or FORAN is desirable
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.