- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
As the Group Manager of Highways & Transport, with a significant remit that directly affects the council's public realm, the role holder will have a major contribution to make towards delivery of both these visions.
In support of delivery of the vision and strategic priorities of both Councils, the main purpose of this role is to provide strategic leadership, effectively management and accountability for the efficient performance of a Service that provides:
- A highways and transport strategy that is reflective of the Mayor for London's Transport Strategy via the Local Implementation Plan (LIP). The Council aim to deliver this strategy for their local community via a 'shared service agreement' to:
- Tackle road traffic congestion
- Proactively manage the highway network
- Ensure the personal safety of people travelling in the Borough
- Improve personal accessibility in the public realm
- Provide sustainable transport alternatives to the car
- Support walking, cycling and public transport
- Maintain the highway structure and all other highway assets
- Improve the local environment and the quality of life for residents
- Support local businesses
- Optimise the use of telematics as part of network management
- Development and delivery of cross-cutting highways and transport policies and strategies via associated commissions (in accordance with the Place Commissioning Programme) that is co-ordinated and delivers the needs of service users via the contractual relationships that impacts these areas to achieve effective, integrated and best value outcomes for the residents.
- Highways and network management, including planned and reactive maintenance of the Council's highway assets in accordance with statutory obligations and appropriate legislation to promote a well maintained, safer, greener, cleaner local environment that creates a better council
- Co-ordination of streetworks and road works to ensure the efficient and expeditious movement of all traffic on the local highway network to the benefit of all users of the public highway.
- Collaborative partnership working, in line with one of the 6 main strands of the strategic 'One Council' corporate aims, with colleagues in Environment, Place, other Council departments, TfL, GLA, public transport providers, PCT, emergency services, local partnerships, sub-regional groups, other local authorities, local community, voluntary and business groups etc. to deliver excellent outcomes for our customers.
- Delivery of highways and transport related Capital infrastructure improvement programmes and projects (both major and minor) on time and within budget that are funded from various sources, including, LIP funding, Council Capital, Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), S106, S278, S38, and other associated special project funding from various sources etc.
- Effective contract management of all contracts relating to Highways and Transport within the Council's contract standing orders and financial and procurement regulations, ensuring that service providers and suppliers performance and quality of service delivery meet all contractual and agreed obligations and perform within the relevant performance management regime (e.g. Key Performance Indicators (KPI's)), and/or agreed service levels, and standards.
- In liaison with the Development Control Team, management of the impact of proposed developments on local traffic management and the highway network via Planning conditions/obligations and development agreements, e.g. S106, 278, 38 etc.
- Delivery of education, training and publicity (ETP) programmes, campaigns and projects to promote a behaviour change strategy that encourages alternatives to single car occupancy car use, tackles traffic and public transport congestion, improves road safety, air pollution and public health outcomes. This includes delivery of the Borough Cycling Programme (BCP), Smarter Travel, Instructor Training (ITO) programme, Bikeability training, Biking Borough, mini-Holland complementary measures, rapid Electric Vehicle (EV) charging points, school crossing patrols etc.
- Traffic monitoring and geographical topographic survey, data collection and analysis.
- Management and processing of Traffic Management Orders, e.g. waiting & loading restrictions, permanent, experimental, emergency/temporary, moving traffic offences, banned traffic movements, road closures, special events, bus lane regulation etc. This includes implementation and maintenance of the associated traffic signs and road markings.
- Management of on and off-street parking reviews and installation of new regulations.
- Management and implementation of the Winter Maintenance Plan.
- Management of highway drainage and requirements of the Floods and Water Management Act 2010.
- Highways Asset Management, including Pubic Rights of Way.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.