- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Control & Instrumentation Engineer
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) requires a Control & Instrumentation Engineer to join their Barrow-based team, delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Dreadnought Alliance has the aim of delivering 4 nuclear deterrent submarines to replace the Royal Navy's current Vanguard Class boats. HMS Dreadnought will undertake its first patrol in the early 2030s and the other 3 submarines must be delivered in short order subsequently. The Dreadnought Class design is nearing completion and construction has been underway for several years, but there are still some areas of the design that require significant MOD input as an intelligent customer. In the coming years, the submarines will undergo a rigorous Test & Commissioning programme before handover to the Royal Navy, and all design issues must be successfully addressed during that period.
The Dreadnought Alliance Engineering Team is looking for a Control & Instrumentation (C&I) Engineer who will join a section reviewing, approving and improving the design and implementation of the submarine's Platform Management System (PMS). This is a challenging and rewarding role, with lots of opportunities to develop your engineering knowledge and skills, and have a substantial impact on an extremely exciting and high-profile programme. Our successful candidate will have a talent for communicating, influencing and making effective decisions. As part of this vital role, you will have unique access to the design, construction, testing and commissioning of a nuclear-powered submarine. You will be involved in approving aspects of the PMS design and operation and will deal with the shipbuilder on a regular basis.
The team is mainly based at the BAES shipyard, Barrow, but regular travel to Bristol, and other sites around the UK, will be required, therefore candidates may base themselves out of BAES, Barrow, or Abbey Wood, Bristol.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Management of the development of technical, functional and system requirements, including definition, integration, and change management
- Management of equipment design working with the contractor to undertake qualification testing
- Management of the console design, including dependencies with other systems
- Identify system and technical risk whilst providing guidance on C&I issues
- Support to development of core and application software
- Support to the development of the system safety case, including support safety analysis
- Support to the developing a supportable system design, including through life support
- Contribute to development Engineering Management Plans, including the development of processes
- Interacting with both contractors and original equipment manufacturers, and liaising with internal and external customers
- Attending the trials of equipment, including acceptance tests with equipment manufacturer or contractor, on boat, and sea trials.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Electrical, C&I or Software Engineering background
- To be able to demonstrate an understanding of the requirements Control Systems within a Maritime environment or identify transferable skills
- Level 4 qualification in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
- Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Maritime engineering experience
Please note that due the nature of security, this role is restricted to Sole UK Nationals only.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.