- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Our leading defence client in Hertfordshire have multiple permanent opening for Thermal Engineer from experienced intermediate to Principal Engineer level.
The role is investigating thermal performance of whole defence systems including mechanical and electronics sub-systems:
- Drawing on your understanding of heat conductance, convection and radiation;
- Participating and managing others to carry out hand calculations and apply numerical based tools (e.g. ANSYS, 6SigmaET, ICEPAK, FLOTHERM);
- Deriving evidence on which to base thermal performance decisions and evidence in preparation for full-scale flight and environmental trials;
- Proposing and analysing standard and novel approaches for mitigating the thermal impact on electronic and mechanical systems;
- Managing and delivering your own small-scale experimental studies as well as guiding trials teams to deliver test requirements that you have generated.
- Working on projects spanning the whole product lifecycle, from concept through to in-service.
- Acting as the main point of contact with internal and external customers, stakeholders and suppliers on assigned projects.
- Delivering verbal and written reports to ratify design and equipment thermal performance decisions.
- Managing the delivery of work through individuals and teams that you may directly manage.
- Building future thermal capabilities and technical competence to deliver thermal investigations, by:
- Generating/working on ideas supported by internally funded research;
- Disseminating your skills and knowledge across the stakeholder community.
- Ideally Degree/Doctorate qualified in a subject relevant to the role or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Good problem solving skills coupled with a sound fundamental knowledge of heat transfer analysis using Finite Element methods.
- Experience applying numerical based tools (e.g. ANSYS, 6SigmaET, ICEPAK, FLOTHERM) to investigate and analyse heat conductance problems.
- Relevant experience in an equivalent or comparable industry to defence
- Determined individuals that are self-motivated and can demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
In addition to the above the following is desirable especially at a more senior level:
- Demonstrable experience leading and managing small teams in the delivery of projects.
- Knowledge and experience of methods for managing the thermal performance of mechanical and electronic systems.
- Past experience writing/reviewing formal documents/deliverables on projects.
- Previous experience identifying and delivering capability and technical improvements.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.