- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Principal Structures Engineer
Our client is recruiting for a Principal Engineer to join their Structures Engineering Team within their Operations Directorate in the North West of England.
This role provides an excellent opportunity to apply your expert structural, bridges and asset management knowledge, skills and significant experience to your specific discipline in highway infrastructure engineering and asset management.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you'll be leading on
- To ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity
- To develop asset specific (Bridges and Structures) management plans and ensure asset management decisions adhere to defined policies and standards, provide value for money and maximise contribution to the delivery of business objectives
- To identify, prioritise and manage asset need in accordance with required governance and to achieve business objectives
- To provide specialist technical expertise and assurance in the development of early solutions for renewals and improvement schemes, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria, and taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs
- To identify and commission survey works to support the improvement and/or renewal of assets; to check and approve technical briefs, reports, specifications, drawings and supporting information
- To support collaboration with engineering colleagues, Project Managers, Service Delivery Managers and Route Managers to ensure forward programme plans reflect asset needs, priorities and strategies
- To develop and recommend best practice methods for the identification and evaluation of asset condition and future needs in order to support the ongoing development of asset maintenance strategies for the asset class(es) in scope
- To continuously monitor and analyse asset data, to champion asset data quality, integrity and adherence to data standards and guidelines, and provide coaching and guidance to regional colleagues involved in data entry and maintenance
- To interface with Highways England's Safety, Engineering and Standards (SES) colleagues, and provide input into the development of and/or review of standards, documentation and methods of working in the relevant area of expertise
- To oversee and advise on the development of technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work
- To provide technical input and support to Service Delivery teams; provide technical advice to assist with incidents affecting the condition of the assets in scope
- To coach and support the professional development of more junior team members
- Recommend opportunities to improve asset management capability, processes and approaches, and manage the implementation of changes within own area of responsibility; champion and share best practice, and promote compliance to recognised asset management standards
- To serve as structures asset champion and to provide support to reactive works
- To work with the inspection manager in identifying asset needs and authorising inspections.
To be successful
- A Chartered or Incorporated Engineer with extensive experience, or equivalent
- Degree in relevant discipline, HND, or HNC with relevant experience, or equivalent experience
- Competent knowledge of structural and condition assessment, structures design and renewals
- Competent knowledge of asset specific Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network
- Understanding of the Value Management process and/or cost benefit analysis of schemes
- Experience in highways infrastructure design
- Experience in project management and effective engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in AutoCAD desirable
- Extensive experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development
- Experience in highway construction and delivery methods
- Previous asset management experience is essential.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.