- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
An opportunity has arisen for a Marine Mechanical Supervisor.
You will supervise and monitor the work of both permanent employees and sub-contractors, supporting Management in maintaining and monitoring employee compliance with rules, regulations, health and safety, and company operational procedures.
- You must have a background in mechanical engineering, marine biased .
- Experience of working with vessels.
- Able to read and understand basic layout and assembly drawings, to class society rules / standards, understanding of shipbuilding/ship repair practices.
- Understands Works specifications, equipment manuals and installation guides, to class society rules / standards, understanding of shipbuilding/ship repair practices. Understands Works specifications, equipment manuals and installation guides.
- Effectively Supervise and monitor trade employees' work, ensuring the required quality and safety standards and associated procedures are met.
- Coordinate & plan activities of designated projects from quote through to invoicing.
- Ensure goals and objectives of the project are accomplished within established time frame and budgeting.
- Assist managers with the responsibility for the financial performance of your business unit. Improve profit margins on works undertaken assist in the reduction of downtime.
- To be forthcoming to Management with any/all opportunities or ideas relating to either increased sales/new custom/increased profitability or the reduction in commercial operating cost.
- Assist with Management of labour budgets monitoring staff numbers and providing update reports for percentage complete against actual spend and scheduled works to Management weekly.
- To understand the hours, materials, consumables, and equipment quoted on a job and complete the work on time and on budget. To carry out procurement of consumables, plant, and materials to support the project.
- To ensure each job has the relevant COSSH assessment & RAMS before start working, liaise with the SHEQ Dept regularly to make sure all works are undertaken in a safe complaint manner.
- Ensure good time keeping and conduct of staff in line with agreed policies and procedures. Managing disciplinary and grievance matters, employee development, training, and inductions.
- To assist Management in ensuring that all tools/equipment issued are accounted for and traceable to prevent financial loss to the Company and to report any instances of theft/loss.
- To ensure that he/she is contactable via telephone to suit the emergency/responsive nature of the Company's core business and client base and may be expected to undertake on-call activities when required.
- To understand and apply the companies IMS systems and procedures to all relevant projects.
- To travel to sites/customers to survey / work and assist in the quotation process of any projects as required.
- In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties.
- Good communication skills including spoken and written English. Must be able to communicate sensitively, politely and clearly with staff, managers, suppliers and customers
- Expected to be time served NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship with HNC/NC Mechanical Fitter/Tuner /Pipefitting Shipbuilding Qualification.
- Must have commissioning experience of consisting of Engines, Propulsion systems / Pump Systems / Deck Machinery & Hydraulic Systems, commissioning experience of all hydraulic, domestic & fuel pipe systems.
- Must have at least 2 years supervision experience, with minimum of five years trade experience in the marine industry.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Able to work as part of a team and be able to motivate.
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of IT packages, the internet and email, can utilise Microsoft software packages word & excel. Any CAD experience would be advantageous.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you and all employees under your control work safely and comply with all current and relevant health, safety, and environmental legislation.
- You are responsible for ensuring that employees implement safe systems of work according to internal procedures.
- You are responsible for ensuring your own safety and that of the employees under your control and of visitors and the public when on SMS property.
- You must adhere to all criteria contained within the IMS, the Staff Handbook, the Safety, Health and Environment Handbook and the Drivers Handbook.
- You must adhere to all criteria relating to the Company Substance Misuse policy.
- You must ensure that accidents, incidents and near misses to you or staff under your control are reported and recorded and that the accident book is completed promptly.
The role is South Coast/South West based and will require travelling between Plymouth and Portsmouth in line with project demands.
Ideal candidates will based in either Plymouth or Portsmouth/Southampton but who are willing to travel and work away when required.
Salary - to be discussed on application.
The role is permanent but temp to perm/long term contract can be also be discussed
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.