- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Sonar Systems Engineer
To work as part of our systems development team specialising in signal processing and numerical model development throughout the full engineering lifecycle.
To work as part of our systems development team specialising in signal processing and numerical model development throughout the full engineering lifecycle. Supporting from research and studies through to the development of high-performance system design such as sonar and communications / VLF and Sonar simulators. Specialising in complex system problem solving and developing engineering solutions
- To develop and evaluate algorithms for detection, classification and localisation of contacts using underwater acoustic sensors.
- Communication VLF and any other areas.
- Observe, predict scientific, engineering and technological trends to continually improve the business offering.
- Provide a research and development capacity by conducting the studies and producing technical papers and reports.
- Present and publish results and work
- Support the business development team in preparing technical proposals & solutions.
- Interact with hardware, software and firmware Engineering development teams to ensure that system designs achieve the operational performance requirements.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE;
- Required to have an in-depth knowledge and experience in digital signal processing, signal processing with statistical methods, sonar array signal processing, numerical methods and simulation of physical processes and use of digital filters.
- Experience in complex system design, implementation, test and integration.
- Experience developing engineering-based computer models using high level programming languages such as MATLAB/Simulink.
- Expertise in algorithm development and front-end signal conditioning for analogue digitisation.
- Able to provide technical leadership within project teams as a Design Authority.
- Ability to present complex ideas to internal & external stakeholders at all levels.
- Willingness to work as part of a collaborative enterprise with other companies including short period of detached duty on-board or at sea when required.
- Innovative and creative thinking to solve complex technical problems.
- Analogue design and pspice simulations
- Experience of transducer and sensor interfacing
- Participation in the full engineering system lifecycle from Requirement Capture, Design, Implementation, Test, Acceptance to Evaluation.
- Work as part of an Engineering Team coaching and mentoring less experienced engineers.
- Good interpersonal skills to liaise across Engineering Functions supporting system design meeting operation performance requirements.
DESIRABLE SKILLS & EXPERTISE;
- Previous experience in the field of underwater acoustics or similar.
- Communication Systems / VLF.
- Experience of electronic hardware, software or firmware design.
- Ability to work independently across site or as part of a multi-disciplined team.
- A knowledge of AI and machine learning would be advantageous.
- UK National
- Ability to attain DV or SC UK security clearance
- Full driving license
- PhD/Degree level Physics, Math or related Engineering Degree with a strong mathematical background.
- Member of a professional Engineering or Science Institute / Chartered Engineer.
- Sonar, communication systems or mathematical modelling course (desirable)
- Ability to travel on occasions within the UK & Internationally
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.