- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Nuclear Propulsion Overseer
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is looking for Engineers with technical experience in in a variety of contexts (e.g. Electronics and Sensors, Pressure Vessel Manufacture, Pipe Fabrication and Welding) to join their team in Barrow.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
SDA Principal Naval Overseers (PNO) are a team of circa 50 staff, predominantly engineers, based in Barrow-in-Furness providing independent assurance that submarine build activities are conducted and meet the necessary requirements of the contract. It also falls on the PNO team to ensure that Project and Engineering Risks and Opportunities identified within the build environment are effectively mitigated and/or realised.
PNO undertake risk based surveillance of vessels during build and provide waterfront and build support/advice to delivery teams. The team ensure correct standards are maintained by promoting the Governance, Assurance and Improvement (GAI) of acquisition, engineering and logistics support activities.
We are keen to speak to and support those candidates that are motivated and driven to progress their careers, with the successful candidates expected to up-skill and develop their knowledge of the systems, and the build and commissioning, of the Nuclear Steam Raising Plant.
As a Technical Overseer you will be expected to advise on technical problem solving and approve technical documentation acting as the PNO Representative in Test and Authorisation Groups. Using your knowledge of nuclear propulsion systems, and construction processes, you will also need to define technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with the customers' requirements both in design and during the product build. General day to day responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Undertaking verification and validation of the Submarine Design and Build against the customer requirements, including undertaking build surveillance and attending Test Groups
- Determining quality management and assurance approaches ensuring technical risks are understood and managed
- Produce and contribute to Surveillance Plans
- You will also be required to brief project teams on findings and anticipated delays to build
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Professionally Registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
- A minimum of a Level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) in Engineering or suitable technical experience in the relevant discipline/specialism that would support successful achievement of Engineering Technician (EngTech) status with 12 months
- Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Technical experience in your discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts (e.g. Electronics and Sensors, Pressure Vessel Manufacture, Pipe Fabrication and Welding)
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Level 6 (e.g. BEng) level qualification and/or being on the path to becoming a Chartered Engineer
- Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, these posts are reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.