- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Safety Case Engineer
Are you interested in working on the UK's submarine projects, supporting our armed forces in current and future operations? If so, the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) has an exciting opportunity for a Safety Case Engineer to join the team.
The facilities at Devonport are critical to the Royal Navy, providing a unique contribution to the Royal Navy's ships, submarines and people. This opportunity will see you based within the Strategic Waterfront Infrastructure (Future) team, who are responsible, through working with their industrial partners, to deliver a programme of infrastructure works that will support the deep maintenance of submarines at Devonport, underpinning the Royal Navy's future submarine operations. This is an opportunity to join an integrated team of highly skilled professionals, where you will help ensure the current and future success in projects of unparalleled importance, in the development and build of a submarine dock and berth.
As a technical expert in your field, you will become a 'go-to' expert, contributing vital expertise and providing advice and assurance on nuclear safety risks and strategy across this high-profile infrastructure project, influencing safety decisions across the full project life cycle, from design and build to through-life support.
Additionally, as part of the team, we want you to support us in continually identifying and helping to spread best practice, promoting skills development, standardising process and increasing knowledge transfer throughout the business.
As a Safety Case Engineer within the SDA, you will oversee and participate in the contractor's safety case development, where options are explored and developed to optimise nuclear safety functional requirements on the infrastructure in order to support nuclear submarine maintenance. You will monitor the safety case development of a nuclear submarine dry dock and berth, making recommendations as part of the SDA client team. You will work with the contractor and other organisations within the Defence Nuclear Enterprise to review fault schedule analysis, FMECAs (Failure Mode, Effects & Criticality Analysis), HAZIDs (Hazard Identification), HAZOPs (Hazard and Operability Analysis) and develop the Safety Justification Plan and claim, argument and evidence structure for the optimum safety case and associated facility design solution.
Other responsibilities of the posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide expert advice and guidance in own technical area to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
- Interface with industry as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
- Provide expert advice to develop the SDA Client's view of nuclear safety drivers in the safety case and design, and the feasibility of specific claims and evidence for a given safety case approach
- You will work on complex products, systems and services in order to meet needs the Royal Navy's requirement and ensure they are delivered to cost, time and customer satisfaction
- You will utilise your exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills to ensure that your solutions are understood and appropriately executed.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status or will demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* You will have a wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience, with knowledge and application of safety cases within a high hazard or heavily regulated industry
* You will have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
It would benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of writing/assessing safety cases for submarine nuclear infrastructure projects
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Application of Analytical Techniques
* Technical Decision Making
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service may have implications on an employee's ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Open to Sole UK nationals only.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.