- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Sonar Systems Engineer
Are you fascinated by innovative technology and excited by the opportunity to help support both ships and submarines of the Royal Navy?
DE&S has a unique and exciting opportunity for a Sonar Systems Engineer to join the Underwater and Electronic Warfare (UEW) team, covering all in-service sonar and underwater systems support, working on the most advanced and exciting piece of engineering the Ministry of Defence has.
The work conducted by the UEW team is varied, often working across multiple projects. As Sonar Systems Engineer, you will utilise and apply your engineering expertise to accelerate design, development, test, evaluation, trials and acceptance of capability, from Science & Technology or Industry concepts, delivering the best solutions into service by working at pace.
Please note that due the security requirements, this position is restricted to sole UK nationals only.
Within the Spearhead Programme, you will be involved in all aspects of the CADMID (Concept Assessment Development Manufacturing In-Service Disposal) cycle.
You will oversee ship borne activities, and will be required to travel to Client sites occasionally for the development of detailed technical proposals, as well as providing technical consultation on future technological solutions. You will also play a key role in managing and mentoring others within the UEW team.
Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Develop the engineering management plans in-line with systems development life cycle
* Act as System Approval Authority; using your engineering thinking to be subject matter expert, undertaking projects from concept through to in-service, optimising sonar or underwater acoustics systems across a wide variety of MOD projects
* Take a pro-active and innovative approach, leaning on your key knowledge of current underwater technology to develop and review the scope, and develop, review and manage the technical and system requirements
* Lead on preliminary design review engineering activities and critical design review activities, and provide engineering assurance throughout the development and in-service cycle
* Develop an Integrated Test, Evaluation and Acceptance Plan (including planning and trial activities) applying the SMART technique to drive the projects to successful implementation
* Ensure security and safety is maintained and appropriate assurance can be given that the system complies with all applicable policy and legislative requirements, including contributing to the development of safety artefacts
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will have demonstrable experience of sonar and/or underwater system design
* You will hold a minimum of Level 4 (e.g. Higher National Certificate (HNC) or equivalent) qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science discipline, or suitable relevant experience
* You will have experience of integrating engineering solutions into complex systems
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge of wider anti-submarine warfare sensors and/or technology, OR
* Experience of developing demonstrably safe systems including safety artefacts, OR
* Evidence of setting and evaluating technical requirements for a complex system
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
* Technical Decision Making
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Open to UK nationals only.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.